It should have been a week filled with amazing performances and huge results. It’s the end of the English Premier League, the Premier League Darts and we saw the World Table Tennis Championships, but there hasn’t been much to cheer in terms of British success. As such, it was pretty tough to pull together a “Best of the Week” top 10, so here’s just a list of who scraped in:
* Yorkshire CCC – Thrashed current champions Warwickshire by over an innings to continue their current form.
* Wigan Warriors – The league leaders hammered the Broncos 64-6 away from home.
* Graeme McDowell – Continued his promising major-winning potential by claiming the Volvo World Match Play Championship title.
* Tai Woffinden – Became Great Britain’s first winner in the Speedway Grand Prix in over six years at the Prague meeting, as well as becoming British champion for the first time in the same week.
* Phil Taylor – Edged out of defending his title by Michael van Gerwen in the Premier League Darts final.
* Chris Simpson – Won the Jersey Open squash tournament, beating England’s Charles Sharpes in the final.
* Liam Heath/Jon Schofield – Picked up their second silver medal in as many weeks in the K2 200m event of the Canoe Sprint World Cup.
* Harlow Nationals – Defending champions are back on track after some mixed results, beating Essex Redbacks twice, including a 14-2 win.
* Cal Crutchlow – Showed the big teams his talent by coming second in Le Mans, carrying a hairline fracture in his leg.
* Chelsea FC – Finished third in the Premier League and grabbed the Europa League trophy, their second major European title in two years.